Values are our most core motivators, defined as "one's judgment of what's important in life".
If you're feeling less than satisfied in your current role, or struggling to figure out what you want to do next in your career, look to your values first.
Because only when our work enables us to live our core values do we feel fulfilled, satisfied, and energized by the path we're in.
Few work situations allow all our core values to play a leading role in our lives, so clarifying up front what's most important to you at this point in your career and life is critical. Once you do, you'll have a much clearer picture of which career paths will and will not lead to YOUR happiness.
Follow the below steps to identify and prioritize your current core values:
- Of the 100 values listed below, circle the top 15 most importance to you (you can also write in values you feel are missing from the list)
- Once you have your top 15, strike 5 from your list to find your top 10
- Once you have your top 10, strike 3 more from your list to find your top 7
- Now, rank your top 7 values from most to least important
- Finally, from your top 7, highlight the values you want fulfilled at work, underline those you want fulfilled outside of work, and *star* your non-negotiables
What you should have at the end of this exercise is a clearer sense of what's most important to you at work and outside of work, and a guiding light for weighing potential opportunities.
What comes next? How do you take those values and use them to figure out which jobs could be right for you?
Now that takes a little more effort... But it's worth the work!
In my Land Your Dream Job program, I help you take the next step to identify potential career paths that align with your values, passions, and work preferences, choose the right one for you -- and then go out and land it. If you're still stuck trying to figure out what you want to go after in your search, check out LYDJ as your best resource and ultimate guide.